Subject: RFD: comp.graphics.lightwave - Lightwave 3D newsgroup
From: djmccoy (Daniel J. McCoy)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 1994 22:30:51 -0700 (PDT)

What follows is a message sent to three newsgroups in a effort to get the
ball rolling on the creation of a Lightwave specific newsgroup.  Since this
is my first time at making an attempt at creating a new newsgroup, it may be
a bumpy road.  I'm hoping for the best.

PLEASE!  Direct ALL discussions on the newsgroup creation to news.groups and
NOT this list!  We all know what we want.  We need to let the public know. 

The post is as follows:

Newsgroup: comp.sys.graphics.lightwave (unmoderated)

Distribution: world

Charter: Discussion of topics specific to Lightwave 3D.  This can include
         discussion of objects, macros, third party products aimed at the
         Lightwave market, and hints and tips on how to get the best out
         of Lightwave.  

Requested by: [email-masked]

Crossposted to: news.announce.newgroups, comp.sys.amiga.graphics,
                comp.graphics, [email-masked]

This is a formal request for discussion on the creation of a newsgroup
that caters to Newtek's Lightwave 3D, a 3D modeling and rendering package
available for the Commodore Amiga that is also scheduled to be available
for Windows, WindowsNT and SGI.  Currently, a mailing list exists
specifically for Lightwave topics that has grown to almost 500 subscribers
with an average of 20-30 messages a day.  Message archives being kept for
the last two months since the revival of the list come close to the size
of the message archive for the entire year of 1993.  Now that Lightwave is
available standalone for all Amiga users and the announcement at Siggraph
of future multiplatform releases, the subscription base and message traffic
has increased considerably.  Several subscribers have expressed that a
newsgroup would be the best option.  

The choice of hierarchy is clearly up for discussion.  A Lightwave
specific newsgroup doesn't neccessarily belong in the comp.sys.amiga.*
hierarchy now that it will be available for other platforms.  Perhaps a
new hierarchy of comp.graphics.3d.* can be created opening the way for new
proposed groups geared for other 3d packages such as 3D Studio.  It has
been suggested that the new newsgroup could fall under
comp.graphics.raytracing however Lightwave really is a renderer with ray
tracing capabilities.

As this is my first attempt at getting a process of creating a new
newsgroup, I suspect there will be flaws that will be pointed out.  As the
overseer of the Lightwave mailing list, I feel obligated to making the
step forward.

Thank you,
Daniel J. McCoy

<end of article>

Again, please direct all discussions to the usenet newsgroup news.groups and
NOT this list.

I would much rather see a newsgroup created at this point rather than
keeping a mailing list.  Now that Lightwave will eventually be available on
other platforms, I'm sure message traffic will only increase. 

Thank you for your time and patience.  Now as to Netcom putting a new
version of MajorDomo or Listserv up, they mentioned an October time span. 
:(  I'll be looking at all options.  I only want the best to happen to the
list and for everyone on the list.  

Dan
-- 
Daniel J. McCoy                                                       //
Internet : [email-masked] or [email-masked]      \X/
Portal   : Daniel J McCoy        BIX: dmccoy                       Amiga